Friday, January 13, 2012

Thrifty Shopping

Let's face it, even if we do find clothing that is becoming to our forms, is modest, and expresses our personalities, the most disappointing factor can be the price tag!!!

Clothing prices are as open and varying as art prices. Many clothing brands and designers designate the price using the value of the name on the tag, not the true worth of the clothing. It is true that clothing made from natural fibers has a longer life than synthetic clothing, but many times what seems real can be fake. (That is a truth within a truth.)

I enjoy shopping, but my bank account does not. I have to exercise a lot of self-control! The secret to looking polished and spending very little money is taking advantage of sales, consignment, and thrift. These shopping avenues take a bit more digging and patience, but I like to think of it as treasure hunting! I have found many jewels in thrift stores!

Here are some tips I keep in mind when I shop:
  1. Have a spending plan before I shop.
  2. Don't allow myself to become overwhelmed by disorganization. 
  3. I find consignment and thrift stores that offer quality clothing.
  4. Remind myself to never feel defeated when I walk out of a store empty-handed. Clothing at these type stores change every week, so I'll just check back another time.
  5. When going through a rack of clothing, if an item doesn't catch my eye, then I pass it quickly. I start from one end of the rack and go as fast as I can.
  6. It's great if the consignment or thrift store has a dressing room, but not always necessary if the store has a good return policy.
  7. Brand names on clothing are important to view.
  8. I check to see if the garment looks old, e.g., holes, fraying, missing buttons, zipper problems, faded color.
  9. Remind myself to not be tempted to over-buy because of the great deals. Keep to the budget!
  10. I search for clothing that is up-to-date, not necessarily trendy -- clothing that is classic and fresh.
Happy Shopping and Treasure Hunting!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your post. I buy most of my clothes from thrift stores (or take them from my sister's give away pile....shhh!) and am able to spend a lot less for a lot more! :D

    ReplyDelete