Friday, August 10, 2012

True Perfection: What Society Says and What God Says


"Unless I accept my faults I will most certainly doubt my virtues."
-- Hugh Prather

A common misconception in our society today surrounds the definition of true perfection. We seem to think of it as an attainable thing, as if owning the newest shoes or the shortest skirts can help one to reach this goal. For this reason, when many people think of perfection, they think of it as a physical state rather than a moral state. Let me ask you this: if perfection were something I could hold in the palm of my hand, then why in the world can't I achieve it? How come my skin isn't always flawless, and why have I had braces on my teeth for the past year? Neither of these things are considered "perfect" in our society, but lots of people experience them. And what about the lifelong concern many people have regarding their weight? They obsess over having the "perfect body", when in reality, it doesn't exist. God made us all different shapes and sizes, and He sees each of us as beautiful in our own way.

Another thing some people think will make them perfect is being especially nice to other people. While it's definitely true that God wants us all to encourage one another, it won't do a thing to help or hinder someone's "perfection status." I mean, I could go door to door and hug every person in my community, but does that make me a better person? Not at all. I'd be very memorable to people of course (which isn't always a good thing, if you know what I mean), but there wouldn't be a soul in my town that would think, "I bet that girl's perfect the way she's going around hugging everybody."

One thing that bothers me is that there are a lot of people out there that spend so much time trying to make their friends think they're more perfect than the rest. These people miss out on enjoying others! I know they mean well, but let's just face it -- if someone tries too hard to be the "saint" of a relationship by correcting other people on their flaws, probably nine out of ten of us will get the impression that this friend is meaning it as a personal jab. A true friend tries to encourage others. Be sure not to confuse encouragement with just being "nice." True friendship in the body of Christ helps each other see our errors, but not in a way that makes the one person look better. There is a time and place for reproach, but we must look at our hearts and seek counsel from scripture as to how to help each other deal with sin.

"Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.~ Proverbs 25:6  

The most important thing to know is that no one but God is truly perfect. All of us here at Silk and Purple are aware of that and I'm sure that most of y'all are, too. We are sinful, forgetful, fallen human beings, and we've been that way since the fall of man all those years ago. This may seem like a tough break, because we weren't even there when it happened, but don't blame Adam and Eve. I can tell you for certain that I probably would have done the same thing. We're not perfect, but we've got a God who is. He's saved everyone who is willing to accept Him, so while I'm on this earth I must strive to please Him rather than please the false perfections of this world. My sins are forgiven, and God's got an Eternal Home waiting for me when my time here is finished. So relax and lean back into His arms. Based on everything He's done for us so far, I'd say He's got us covered + so much more!
  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what PERFECT timing. :) Thank you! I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing blog. It really meant alot to me reading it, especially as a teenage girl in highschool. People always put so much on your looks, but now I am beginning to realize how important it is to remember who you are on the inside opposed to who you are on the outside. Thank you whoever posted this blog, it really helped me out.

    ReplyDelete