Friday, November 9, 2012

My Gluten-Free Journey, Part 1


As many of you know, I have been officially gluten-free for about a year now. I began to realize that some of the problems I had been dealing with for years were connected to my intake of wheat/gluten. Things such as bloating, stomach aches, tiredness, and persistent acne were only a few of my symptoms. As I began to research more into healthy alternatives, I was struck with how many people cannot tolerate gluten or wheat. I began to research symptoms of gluten intolerance, and was shocked to find that all of my "problems" were included on the list! Several of the books that I read recommended that I go on a wheat/gluten "cleanse" for one month to see if my symptoms cleared up. It was very hard for me at first, as many of my favorite foods were in the form of either bread or dessert. But after about two weeks, my symptoms disappeared! When I tried to eat wheat after the cleanse, I dealt with the same symptoms, except they were more severe. From then on, I knew without a doubt that I was gluten-intolerant.

This was very difficult for me to deal with because I could not find products to replace my breads, pastas, and desserts that were healthy and delicious. I look back and wish that I had known somebody who was gluten-intolerant so that they could recommend good products for me. I believe that this is a great need for people who are gradually extracting gluten from their diet, or for those who must remove gluten cold turkey.

Because of this knowledge, for three weeks I will be recommending products and resources for those of you who are gluten-intolerant or think that you might be. I desire for you to learn from my mistakes and discover that gluten-free eating can be delicious and satisfying! This week, I will focus on breads and crackers.

Breads

Ezekiel bread* is one of my favorites, although I try not to eat it very often. It is very hearty and satisfying, and is taken from the recipe for bread that God gave Ezekiel in Ezekiel 4:9. You can find this bread in many varieties in the freezer section at your local grocery.
*If you are very sensitive to wheat/gluten, please check with your doctor before eating Ezekiel bread.


These brown rice tortillas are a wonderful addition to the gluten-free diet! They taste delicious toasted with olive oil and herbs for pita chips, or served as a flour tortilla substitute for tacos and quesadillas, and they can also be used for delicious roll-up sandwiches. Find these tortillas in the freezer section at your local health food store or large grocery store.

Crackers




I am addicted to these crackers! Both brands are crunchy and delicious, and come in several different varieties. They are wonderful dipped in hummus, or topped with cheese and tomato.


These rice cakes are one of my favorite snacks. I enjoy them with organic peanut butter, chia and flax seeds, and a light drizzle of honey for a satisfying snack.  
---
If any of you have any questions or just want some encouragement, please email me at misselyse@silkandpurple31.com.

For God's glory,
Elyse

No comments:

Post a Comment