Tuesday, July 23, 2013

There's No Place Like Home


When I was little, my favorite movie was The Wizard of Oz. The excitement of the journey to Oz, the frightening Wicked Witch and Dorothy's lovable companions, and the thrill of a sudden change from black and white to color made me so excited that my twin sister and I watched the movie every day. Each time I watched it, it was like a whole new story, and my favorite part was when Dorothy would click her heels together and say, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home." As a little child, the word "home" brought images of my earthly home in Alabama to mind, but now that I'm older, home has a brand new meaning to me. It's still the same neighborhood that I've known as long as I can remember, but it's also a place I've never been that's too wonderful for me to imagine.

Even though we try to stay focused on what is to come, we Christians often forget that this earth is not our permanent home. We get so caught up in our daily lives that it can be hard to remember that the best is yet to come, and that our home on earth will someday cease to be. The reason this happens is because we are only human and it's hard for us to imagine any home besides the one we are accustomed to, especially if that home is one that is so different from ours. But we must be aware of our home-going so that we can prepare for it.

John 14:2-4 says, "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." According to this, not only is God coming back to bring us to our new home, but we know how to get there. And although it's not quite as simple as clicking our heels together, it's not nearly as hard as many people make it out to be. All we have to do is have the same child-like belief that Dorothy had and admit the need for our Savior, who, unlike the "Wizard" of Oz, is completely real and will never fail us. Instead of following the yellow brick road, we follow Christ. If we do this, then God will get us Home when the timing is right.

It's always important to keep in mind the meaning of home. They say that "home is where the heart is," so where is your heart? Is it here on earth, where nothing is permanent, or is it stored up in heaven for all eternity? Because someday soon we will leave our home on earth for a home where we will be united with our Father forever and ever. And I don't know about you, but from what I've heard, this new home is a pretty fantastic place. So no matter how busy you get with the things of this world, take a little time each day to remind yourself that "there's no place like Home."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment