Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Recipe of the Week

I am sure that many of you have trouble finding healthy dessert recipes. Especially if you are like me, and are gluten and dairy intolerant, finding recipes that are gluten and dairy free is like looking for a needle in a haystack! So here is a recipe for those who have allergies to wheat and dairy, and for those who are looking for a healthy way to satisfy their sweet tooth.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

~1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
~6 Tablespoons grape seed oil
~2 1/4 cups hot water
~1/2-2/3 cup honey
~1/4 cup freshly ground flax seeds
~2 teaspoons vanilla extract
~1 cup brown rice flour
~3/4 cup gluten-free oat flour*
~1-2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
~1 teaspoon baking soda
~1/2 teaspoon sea salt
~1 1/4 cup grain-sweetened dairy free chocolate chips

1. Pour hot water over rolled oats and oil in a large bowl. Let sit for about 10 minutes before whisking in honey, ground flax, and vanilla.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together, then combine with the wet.
3. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into a greased medium rectangular pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.


*You can make your own oat flour by grinding rolled oats in a  food processor or coffee grinder.

This recipe was adapted from the book, Everyday Gluten-Free, by Kim Wilson.

3 comments:

  1. That is funny that you should post a gluten free recipe because I just met my grandmas cousin and she is allergic to gluten! I should show her this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definately be trying this, as I am gluten intolerent, and my sister cannot eat dairy products. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome! I love finding gluten-free and dairy-free recipes too!

    ReplyDelete